FAQ or Frequently Asked Questions...
If anything isn't covered here, please drop me a message in the contact box on the Contact page with your question and I'll get back to you asap.
Commissions? Yes, I do take on commissioned work, dependant on the subject. Deposit required for all artwork.
What materials do you use in your paintings? I'm very focused on the quality of my surfaces and the paints, or any other mediums I may use such as pastels or pencils. I want to achieve a good result so look for pigment quality and also archival quality. When I spend many many hours on a piece I don't want it to be faded and ready for the bin in a few years! I want my artwork to out last me and because of that, I research what I use thoroughly and test any new hopefuls against what I currently use if they look like they may be promising.
I sometimes use Chromacolor acrylics and Winsor & Newton Professional Acrylics, but I mostly use Schmincke Primacryl acrylics as I find that they are very good for pigment quality and they simply exceed the other well known ones in my own opinion. I also use the Schmincke Horadam watercolours for the same reasons.
For oils, my absolute favourite has to be the Michael Harding oil paints. I sometimes use Gamblin Artists Oil Colour and occasionally the Winsor & Newton Griffin Alkyd's as they tend to be quicker drying.
If you would like to know anymore about what I use in different mediums, please message via the contact box, otherwise this page would simply go on too long!
My surfaces may differ but to me it is very important as to how they've been primed and how they've been made. Claessens Artists canvas is really amazing, its expensive but you know exactly what you're getting and how it was made. Also how it was 'sized' as that is important to me, some will size using rabbit hide glue. The Claessens use a synthetic glue which is less sensitive to humidity. I do use some other surfaces too but again, this page could and would get much longer then necessary - use the contact box, link above .
I ordered from you, how long will it be before I get it! I tend to ship all orders between 1-2 days from purchase. I do try to send them out the same day where possible.
Delivery(when it actually reaches you) times may vary and after it leaves me, it is down to the delivery company. Unless you have chosen a special delivery(extra cost) then I can only give an estimate, according to the delivery company, on when you should receive it. Please allow at least a few days either way, especially in bad weather or if you are international before contacting me regarding this.
If you haven't received it within a week(UK) or 10 days (everywhere else), please DO get in touch, I like to know whats happening as much as possible and of course, the postal services/delivery providers should get your item to you within that time range. You paid for your item, I want to make sure you get it - simple as that.
- If you prefer to have a special delivery and pay the extra cost for that, please contact and I will obtain quotes for you.
Oh no, my item is damaged in the post!!
- This doesn't happen very often and so far, touch wood, its not happened with anything I've sent yet. But accidents can and do happen, so here's how it goes...
- Let me know details asap and also send me a photograph via email of the damage. I can set the ball in motion to claim your money back from the post office/delivery company for the damaged item. In some instances I can send out a replacement if print/cards. Should you not want a replacement but would prefer the painting regardless. We can either arrange a partial refund, or you can send the damaged one back to me and I can paint another - it will not be exactly the same but I'll do my best to make it as close as I can to the original piece you purchased. There is always a way to sort things out and we'd find one, whether its another painting, a claim/refund or seeing if your original purchase can be fixed or anything else we could think of that can result in a happy ending.
- Please note that after I take the parcel to the post office or courier then its out of my hands and I'm not in control as to what happens BUT I can help before or after to the best of my abilities and your package will be wrapped well to avoid any problems that could arise.
- Sending fragile art
- My watercolours and some acrylics are glazed. Special delivery is needed for fragile fine art with glazing and so will be added at checkout for UK buyers only at this time.
- If you are not in the UK but would like to purchase this painting, please do not go through checkout but contact me to discuss. I will not send glass via airmail/international but can possibly work out a suitable alternative without.
- If you are not in the UK but go through checkout without contacting to discuss, your payment will be refunded to you, minus any charges I may get because you made the payment, before contacting to discuss as per terms.
- Shipping costs
- Shipping costs tend to differ depending on item size and weight. Many of the items on this website are FREE delivery if you are in the UK. I do aim to keep all costs as low as possible - the only exception to this is when shipping glazed/fragile paintings which need a specialist courier. Where possible I may deliver it myself depending on distance and this sometimes can take the cost down. Please contact me before purchase so I can alter the price to suit if necessary.
- I package my paintings with materials that ensure that the surface of your painting is not compromised in any way. Acid free, archival based paper/tissue to wrap surfaces ensure this.
- Fine quality paints and surfaces used. Please ask if you'd like more details on the ones used in my paintings.
- Mounts used for my artwork/prints are Fine Art Trade Guild certified and won't fade or damage your artwork. When backing boards are used they are conservation-grade FSC certified. Clear gallery bag wraps keep your artwork clean and free of dust.
Such a lot more I could add but for now I'm going to stop right here. I might add more later... just remember if you have a question I haven't answered theres that contact box again.